Get Your Licence


Get your licence with the team at Motorcycle Riding School today! If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call. We’ll be more than happy to talk you through it and book you in for the course that’s right for you!

Step One: Obtain your RE Learner Licence

From October 2016, how you get your RE learner licence is changing, you will need to:

  • hold a provisional or open car licence and have held the licence for at least 1 year. This makes sure you have on-road driving experience before you learn to ride.
  • successfully complete a Q-Ride pre-learner training and assessment course
    Note: If you live outside a 100km radius of a Q-Ride training centre, you may choose to apply for an exemption from completing the course, however if you are exempt from the course your will need to hold your RE learner licence for longer.
  • pass a motorcycle knowledge test
  • be medically fit.

The new pre-learner training and assessment course is being introduced to better prepare learner riders by enabling them to gain basic riding knowledge and motorcycle handling skills in a safe environment before riding on-road.

COURSE: Q-Ride Pre-learner Training and Assessment Course

Click here to check out some tips for Learner Riders from the Queensland Gov

Step Two: Upgrade to your RE Provisional Licence

To upgrade from a class RE learner licence to an class RE provisional, you will need to complete a Q-Ride training and assessment course.

Q-Ride is a competency-based training and assessment program. During the course you will need to demonstrate your competency on a learner approved motorcycle.

You will need to hold your class RE learner licence for at least 3 months before you can enrol in a Q-Ride course. You can, however, participate in supervised training courses. Click here to enquire!

You can apply for your class RE or R provisional licence once you get your Q-Ride certificate (or competency declaration) from your training provider.

Your competency declaration is only valid for 12 months from the date of issue. If you do not present it within 12 months, it will expire and you will need to undertake Q-Ride again to obtain a new one.

You will need to hold your RE Provisional Licence for a period of TWO YEARS and adhere to the RE Provisional rules. In the first year of holding your RE Provisional licence, you must have a BAC of 0.00 and you may not carry pillions.

COURSE: Q-Ride RE Course

Step Three: Upgrade to your R Licence (unrestricted)

To upgrade from a class RE provisional licence to an class R, you will need to complete a Q-Ride Unrestricted training and assessment course on an unrestricted motorcycle.

Once you have obtained your R Licence, you can now ride unrestricted motorcycles!

COURSE: Q-Ride Unrestricted R Course

Updated 6 September, 2016 referencing: